 CAD / 245
Re: [LDAO] Editor Feedback requested
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:18:09 GMT

Once upon a time, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

If there is core functionality that both programs use, make that
functionality into reusable components, use a common code base and build
two different executables.

Of course I'd do that.

While VB is not the ideal language to do this
in, it'll do, especially if you're using VSS. Or, switch to a real
language now while you aren't totally baked in. I of course advocate
Java for this sort of thing.

Really?  Which flavor of Java do you use? (direct all flames to
lugnet.off-topic.debate)

I know you're doing this gratis, and I understand that two separate
programs would probably mean twice as many e-mails, questions to
answer, etc, but it sounds like you're concerned about settling for
"almost there" on two sides.

No, I want "exactly there" for both.  If it's possible.  I might settle for
99% there.  But I tend to be a 1%'er, so maybe 99% isn't good enough.

Well, obviously you work for a corporate IT department. :-)

:P  Usually I'm just the opposite.

As a
consultant, I'm trained to convince people that 80% is good enough. And
it is. Get an 80% solution out there to your users and start capturing
"business"(1) benefits, then refine. If you analyse requirements till
you have it 100% right, the market will change out from under you while
you're stuck in analysis paralysis. (2)

I think calling this 'analysis paralysis' is an exaggeration.  In this
issue, I'm looking at UI elements designed for high-intensity users.
'Almost' isn't 'good enough'.

Besides, if you looked at the history of LDAO, you'd see exactly what
you outlined--it started simple, and additions/refinements have been
added over time.  Along with the obligatory new bugs introduced at
each release.

Steve