 CAD / 241
Re: [LDAO] Editor Feedback requested
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 21:38:05 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <364E7550.34FEF2CB@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com>...
If there is core functionality that both programs use, make that
functionality into reusable components, use a common code base and build
two different executables. While VB is not the ideal language to do this
in, it'll do, especially if you're using VSS. Or, switch to a real
language now while you aren't totally baked in. I of course advocate
Java for this sort of thing.

Sorry but I have to point out that in most cases VB is a much faster, and
easier to use programming language, Sure theres some trobles getting to
lowlevel stuff but that's why you use VC++ for an OCX. While Java on the
other hand, is slow and buggy.
I know you're doing this gratis, and I understand that two separate
programs would probably mean twice as many e-mails, questions to
answer, etc, but it sounds like you're concerned about settling for
"almost there" on two sides.

No, I want "exactly there" for both.  If it's possible.  I might settle • for
99% there.  But I tend to be a 1%'er, so maybe 99% isn't good enough.

Well, obviously you work for a corporate IT department. :-)  As a
consultant, I'm trained to convince people that 80% is good enough. And
it is. Get an 80% solution out there to your users and start capturing
"business"(1) benefits, then refine. If you analyse requirements till
you have it 100% right, the market will change out from under you while
you're stuck in analysis paralysis. (2)

  IMHO it's okay to start out at maybe 75% min it should be a fast ramp up,
I mean good enough never is, unless of course it's a web browser

I'm not sure from reading the various posts but is this program going to be
a really fancy text editor or a visual modeler kind of like ledit?

P.S. Sorry for the off topicnesss of most of this post, but I'm an avid VB
programmer

Matt Marshall
$%#$% Vacuum Cleaners Always get my pieces!!!
Matt's Lego Page
http://rapturesoft.hypermart.net/mlego/