 Off-Topic / Debate / 9634
Re: Keeping things in perspective
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:22:46 GMT

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 06:05:13 GMT, "Dave Low"
<stinglessbee@hotSPAMFREEmail.com> wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:

I own these bricks, they don't own me.

You bring up some very good points that are pertinent to some Lego/Life things
that I've been musing on.  I may be alone in this, but I do sometimes feel that
the bricks own me...I just *have* to get such and such a set to top off my
collections, or, I'm unsatisfied with my collection unless I add such and such
to my collection.  I always promised myself that I'd return to Lego one day,
and now that I have, there's a dark side (for me) to all this.  My problem with
the hobby is that enough is never enough.  I find it hard to just sit and be
happy with what I have, and, consequently, I've made a lot of impulse purchases
that I regret now (not because I'm unhappy with the Lego, but because I know
that those bad decisions have wounded my character, as well as my pocketbook.)
Anyway, these are merely my musings, but I seriously wonder: Does anyone share
these sentiments?

Strong resonances with me. The hobby (like all hobbies?) lends itself to
addictive behaviour. At least it's not physically addictive, although maybe the
FOTW rush is a bit of a worry. Perhaps it's also the dissociation from reality
that can come with building. I'm trying to balance out my life in lots of other
ways, and while having LEGO for therapeutic play is cool, I find the urge to
collect can be disempowering. Is this forum really Legoholics in Urgent and
Genuine Need of Empathetic Therapy ;^)?

--DaveL

I think this tends to bring up the differences in Lego enthusiasts.  I
myself consider building with Legos to be a form of art, it is a way
to express myself.  For others it's something to collect, a hobby to
keep oneself busy, to have a sense of accomplishment when it's
finished.  Others might be role players, who not only build but play
as well.  A way to kind of regress and let go the hurried bustle of
real life for a few hours and divulge in some of life's simpler
pleasures.

With all these types though there are probably varying extremes with
literally tons of explanations behind them.  For instance if you're a
role player and your life becomes much less hectic you may not need to
try and "escape" so much.  Or it might be you've found another
interest that appeals to you even more.  All in all the only person
who can really tell you if you have a "problem" or not is yourself.
If you think you're obsessing, maybe you're right.  If someone else
thinks you're obsessing, well, maybe they just like to think of you
like that.  : )

Robert