 Off-Topic / Debate / 9627
Re: Keeping things in perspective
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 06:05:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:

I own these bricks, they don't own me.

You bring up some very good points that are pertinent to some Lego/Life things
that I've been musing on.  I may be alone in this, but I do sometimes feel that
the bricks own me...I just *have* to get such and such a set to top off my
collections, or, I'm unsatisfied with my collection unless I add such and such
to my collection.  I always promised myself that I'd return to Lego one day,
and now that I have, there's a dark side (for me) to all this.  My problem with
the hobby is that enough is never enough.  I find it hard to just sit and be
happy with what I have, and, consequently, I've made a lot of impulse purchases
that I regret now (not because I'm unhappy with the Lego, but because I know
that those bad decisions have wounded my character, as well as my pocketbook.)
Anyway, these are merely my musings, but I seriously wonder: Does anyone share
these sentiments?

Strong resonances with me. The hobby (like all hobbies?) lends itself to
addictive behaviour. At least it's not physically addictive, although maybe the
FOTW rush is a bit of a worry. Perhaps it's also the dissociation from reality
that can come with building. I'm trying to balance out my life in lots of other
ways, and while having LEGO for therapeutic play is cool, I find the urge to
collect can be disempowering. Is this forum really Legoholics in Urgent and
Genuine Need of Empathetic Therapy ;^)?

--DaveL