 Off-Topic / Debate / 9580
9579  |  9581
Subject:
Keeping things in perspective
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 19:22:17 GMT

Greetings everyone! I am starting this post in an effort to foster better
understanding of this hobby and help keep things in perspective. Feel free
to join in and say your piece. All I ask is that everyone keep an open mind,
use kind words and read carefully.

Recently, a good friend of mine posted a prank message in anticipation of
April Fools Day. The message was taken several ways and, unfortunately, some
people were offended. Several arguements have insued but most will agree
that the main problem with the message is that it was posted in the wrong
place. What's done is done, let's move on.

With this in mind, I would like to point out that there were many strong
comments made regarding this hobby. One gentleman indicated that leaving
this hobby is akin to "virtual death." That there are "dark ages" in one's
life when one lose's interest in this hobby. Another gentleman conveyed a
deep anxiety that our forum is being jeopardized and that we should take
ourselves more seriously lest our cause stray (please forgive me if I take
the comments somewhat out of context, but I'm more concerned about the subtext).

Anyway, my response to such comments is to keep things in the proper
perspective. This is a hobby. This is something done for fun. We use
colorful plastic building bricks to create larger shapes and interesting
designs, including vehicles, towns and other items. We do not make these
bricks ourselves, we purchase them generally from a store. The bricks are
made by a multi-billion dollar corporation. This is sometimes our only hobby
and sometimes, in my case, one of several hobbies.

So, if someone decides they want to quit, good for them! It may be the best
choice they'll ever make! It's a big world and there's a lot to do! Although
I get much pleasure sitting down on a quiet afternoon to throw together a
neat spaceship, I also know that there's much more to life than these
material things.

I've made and paid the money needed to own lots of these little bricks,
enjoyed hour after hour of fun building and playing, and someday I may lose
interest or not. If I do move on, I could care less where these bricks go. I
am more concerned about where I go and the direction I give to my children.

I own these bricks, they don't own me.

Quitting this hobby does not create a vacuum or void, it opens the door to
new possibilities and adventures.

I strongly feel LEGO building is a noble and creative hobby and most of the
enthusiasts I've encountered undeniably have an inner spark, that artistic
and creative essence that inspires others. Some people understand and
support the hobby, others laugh and ridicule it. So what? Is our hobby so
dependent on acceptance from others? Must we "belong" to something in order
to validate what we do? Absolutely not!

All hobbies and activities can bring out people's eccentricities. The
closer, more involved you are, the more sensitive you are and more likely
behave in a manner that, especially to an outsider, seems unreasonalbe and
eccentric. So, my best advice in keeping perspective in this forum is to
find balance in your life. Get out there and do a variety of things. Don't
limit yourself to just one hobby and one point of view. Years later, you may
even look back and say "What was I thinking?"

In closing, I also suggest thinking twice about bringing personal problems
or venting life's frustrations on this forum. This is by no means an
accusation directed toward anyone, but merely a friendly reminder. All posts
have the email address of the person who posted, so consider whether the
matter is better suited for private correspondence rather than public posts.

Thank you for reading this.

Dan