 Off-Topic / Debate / 9595
Re: Keeping things in perspective
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 03:04:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott P. Costello writes:
Thank you very much for this Dan. This is directly related to a conversation
we had on Saturday at the Lugola meeting, and here is my take on it. Here on
Lugnet there are people of all different levels of commitment to Lego. Some,
like me, are hobbyists. We enjoy the hobby and the community but have many
other things that occupy our time; also I would not call any of my creations
ingenious. Then we have the hardcore fans. These people generally have a
great deal of talent and spend a great deal of time creating.

Guilty.

Finally we
have the truly obsessed. No less talent in this group, but these people eat,
breathe, and sleep those little bricks. This is the source of the conflict.
A hobbiest like me might get caught referring to them as "Legos", only to be
immediately corrected by one of the obsessed.

Heh heh! Really, in the big picture, does it matter? Around my house, it's
"legos" but I have to make sure I don't pluralize it online, lest someone
get on my back.

Here are a few tips to figure out if you are an obsessed "Legoholic"

1. You awake in the middle of the night with schematics for the latest
spaceship/medieval building/mech dancing in your head.

Uhhh, okay, it happens... :)

2. You have found yourself in any way offended, or angry over someone using
the wrong term to refer to a set/color/theme.

Naahh, don't give a rip!

3. You actively have all the latest prices for parts/sets from brickbay and
ebay dancing in your head.

Hmmmm, I think I'm a victim of genetics (my mom and dad were garage sale
nuts and haggling is an art in my family).

4. You can't possibly understand how anyone could touch mega blocks/ kinnex/
erector/ lincoln logs, or any other toy for that matter.

Blocks is blocks, but I keep getting LEGO for color consistency.

5. You spend more time with your bricks than you do outdoors or with people.

Nahh, just lately on the carrier, then I go through 2 or 3 months of burnout.

6. You describe your height in terms of studs not feet or meters.

Hah! Nice one!

Hope this has been helpful, and for those of you who may be among the
obsessed, please cut us casual folks some slack.

Hey, that was neat! Later buddy.

Dan