 Off-Topic / Debate / 9588
Re: Keeping things in perspective
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 03:12:11 GMT

Daniel Jassim wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Todd Lehman writes:
Look at it this way:  If someone you've known only
from online for years suddenly ups stakes and leaves the hobby -- and you
never see or hear from them again online -- it is essentially as if they've
died.

I see what you're saying, dude. I know that the connections people make
often vary. If the connection to a friend is based solely on the one
activity you share then I say it is a shallow friendship (not saying that
the people are low or shallow). I'm just saying that the friendship exists
on the surface. On the other hand, if you do a variety of things with a
friend and share more time together, then that is a much deeper friendship.
So, if a friendship withers after someone loses interest in the hobby they
once shared, I'd say they was less of a friend and more of an acquaintance.
You and me are "friendly" but not quite friends. Friendship happens after
one of us loans the other $50 bucks...heh heh. ;^)

There is some truth to this, but if one loses the major connection with
a friend, it is often easy for that friendship to drift away. This is
not necessarily a bad thing, but it is still somewhat sad. I for one
regret that almost all of the friendships from my youth and college have
gone. I kept up some friendships, but when you don't have a regular
opportunity to interact, it's hard.

While there are folks here on Lugnet that I have so far only interacted
with online, we have shared more than just our hobby of the brick. I'm
glad that Todd has provided forums for interaction other than just about
the brick.

Another point: My definition of a friend over an acquaintance rests more
on what kinds of things you share. I have some very important friends
which I only see once or twice a year, and if one of us stops going to
the events we see each other at, the friendship is likely to wither, but
while we are together we can share deeply, and that is important and
valuable, and something which can engender a feeling of loss when the
paths diverge.

Frank