 Off-Topic / Debate / 9582
Re: Keeping things in perspective
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 00:46:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
[...] One gentleman indicated that leaving
this hobby is akin to "virtual death." [...]

Ahh, yes, and it is!  Look at it this way:  If someone you've known only
from online for years suddenly ups stakes and leaves the hobby -- and you
never see or hear from them again online -- it is essentially as if they've
died.  If they *had* died, your continued interaction with them would likely
be no more or less than if they just disappeared from the hobby.  It's
happened before, and I'm sure it will happen again, and those who have been
around online since the early ATL/RTL days have seen a great number of
people come and go.  I used the word "virtual" of course since someone
doesn't typically die when they exit the hobby, and the word "death" because
it can be very sad for the community to lose someone.  At the very least,
it's usually a pretty serious thing when someone checks out.

[...]
So, if someone decides they want to quit, good for them! It may be the best
choice they'll ever make! It's a big world and there's a lot to do! Although
I get much pleasure sitting down on a quiet afternoon to throw together a
neat spaceship, I also know that there's much more to life than these
material things.

Absolutely!  Keep in mind, though, that if someone quits, they potentially
leave friendships, etc. behind.  Maybe that's great for them, and maybe not,
but other people they knew will notice and feel it.  For example, I enjoy
your stuff immensely and it would be my loss if you left the hobby.  I know
it's just a hobby, but that wouldn't make it hurt any less than if one of my
favorite bands suddenly stopped producing stuff.

--Todd