 Off-Topic / Debate / 9635
Re: Does God have a name for God?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:26:10 GMT

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:24:32 GMT, "Frank Buiting"
<frank.buiting@infopulse.nl> wrote:

In lugnet.general, Ryan Farrington writes:
Dave Low wrote:
Does God have a name for God? follow up in off-topic.debate if you dare...

First of all, I don't know if I am supposed to take this discussion only to
off-topic.debate or also have it cross-posted to general.  If someone knows
better, let me know.

Sounds like an offtopic.debate thing to me...

God existed first, before anything else.  He created all things, including
man, whom He created in His own image.  Man, being sinful, created gods in
his own image. (see http://home.ifriendly.com/~fourfarrs/truth.htm and
http://home.ifriendly.com/~fourfarrs/truthfaq.htm)  So God did not steal the
term.

Heh, interesting website because all 'truths' are quoted from a man-made
book and blindy claims that the book tells the truth. I have never learned
to take the texts written in the Bible this litteraly.

God _does_ have a name for God.  He actually has three main names in the
Bible.

The stuff you mention are still names given by man to this 'being' many call
God.

I was wondering if you could answer me this hypothesis:
You say that God created everything, the stars, planets and life...
What if man and an alien race encounter, and the aliens have a completely
different kind of relegion (including their own creation-theory). Would you
be so arrogant to tell them that they are wrong? What proof would you give them?
Given the fact that the universe is so mindboggingly huge (and then some)
there could be some huge amount of alien civilisations out there, so what
proof is there that a group (less than 30% of Earth's population) are the
ones in the universe that are right?

I am asking this bacause of this text in the TruthFAQ:
"Why is christianity different than other religions"
You claim that there is only one god and the others are "not the true God"
as backup for this claim you quote texts from a book written by the
followers of this god. People who do not believe in this one true God are
concidered sinful?
I feel everyone is free to believe in whatever religion (or none) they feel
is right for them, I feel it as offensive to tell other people that they're
sinful because they don't believe in the same religion as you do.

-Frank

Um...surely you realize the futility in arguing this?  I mean people
NEED to believe what they believe, that is why they believe it.  If we
ever do encounter an alien race, I hope they're advanced enough to
comprehend that simple concept, because it seems many of us have not.
: \

Robert