 Off-Topic / Debate / 9580
  Re: Keeping things in perspective

(...) I think this tends to bring up the differences in Lego enthusiasts. I myself consider building with Legos to be a form of art, it is a way to express myself. For others it's something to collect, a hobby to keep oneself busy, to have a sense (...) (23 years ago, 30-Jan-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Keeping things in perspective

Greetings everyone! I am starting this post in an effort to foster better understanding of this hobby and help keep things in perspective. Feel free to join in and say your piece. All I ask is that everyone keep an open mind, use kind words and read (...) (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Daniel Jassim <danieljassim@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GAtKH5.A99@lugnet.com... (...) lose (...) Aaaaargh!!!!! There it is again!!!!!!! The phantom logic-reverser!!!!! ROSCO (23 years ago, 26-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keeping things in perspective

(...) Ahh, yes, and it is! Look at it this way: If someone you've known only from online for years suddenly ups stakes and leaves the hobby -- and you never see or hear from them again online -- it is essentially as if they've died. If they *had* (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keeping things in perspective

(...) I'm sorry, Ross, but what does this post mean? What is a phantom logic reverser? Later, Dan (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keeping things in perspective

(...) I see what you're saying, dude. I know that the connections people make often vary. If the connection to a friend is based solely on the one activity you share then I say it is a shallow friendship (not saying that the people are low or (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keeping things in perspective

Well this doesn't address the whole "people leaving" part of your post which was it's core but I have some comments to make and this seemed to be a safe place to do so. <snip> (...) I actually think we need to take ourselves much much "less" (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keeping things in perspective

(...) He's riffing on the "could care less" / "couldn't care less" thing. Repeat after me: "I *could* care less... JUST NOT VERY MUCH LESS!" and he'll go away. :-) Hope that helps. PS, good thought starter post. I agree, there are things in life (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keeping things in perspective

(...) Doh! I see it now! Okay, Ross, in that case...if I move on from this hobby, I - COULD - CARE - LESS about where these bricks go. Is that cool, buddy? ;^) Dan (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keeping things in perspective

(...) There is some truth to this, but if one loses the major connection with a friend, it is often easy for that friendship to drift away. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is still somewhat sad. I for one regret that almost all of the (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keeping things in perspective

(...) I mean, I'd say they WERE less of a friend and more of anquaintance. Boy, I sounded kinda ghetto on that sentence, too much hollerin' at my homey, M-Dogg. Dan (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Daniel Jassim <danieljassim@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GAu62z.Lwr@lugnet.com... (...) Repeat (...) hobby, (...) ;^) Nooo...ooo!!!...!!! But I'll forgive ya!!! ROSCO (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keeping things in perspective

(...) I believe a friendship truly dies when people drop their committments of staying in touch. Friendship is a very time intensive relationship. The time spent with a friend allows each one to influence the other and the context of that time (...) (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keeping things in perspective

(...) Ack! Lay off the coffee, man! (...) Sweet! Dan (23 years ago, 27-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keeping things in perspective

So when someone disagrees with you over something and you ban them, which then in turn causes them to leave the community permanently or give up bothering to share new models, is that akin with killing them? Robert (...) (23 years ago, 28-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keeping things in perspective

Thank you very much for this Dan. This is directly related to a conversation we had on Saturday at the Lugola meeting, and here is my take on it. Here on Lugnet there are people of all different levels of commitment to Lego. Some, like me, are (...) (23 years ago, 28-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keeping things in perspective

(...) Guilty. (...) Heh heh! Really, in the big picture, does it matter? Around my house, it's "legos" but I have to make sure I don't pluralize it online, lest someone get on my back. (...) Uhhh, okay, it happens... :) (...) Naahh, don't give a (...) (23 years ago, 28-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keeping things in perspective

(...) Hmm, this list may not be very good. #5 is the only one I might possibly answer in the affirmative, but many would argue I'm definitely in the obsessed category :-) Frank (23 years ago, 28-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  (canceled)

  Re: Keeping things in perspective

(...) Only if their computer crashes as a result :D However, they can be born again. At least so long as they change their online identity. The person would then be an entirely different sort of animal than a friend, methinks. Somewhat sinister. (...) (23 years ago, 28-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keeping things in perspective

(...) I agree. Todd is being a little morbid. I have a lot of good friends I have lost touch with (esp during my student days), I do not think of any of them as being "dead". Further, whilst I know a great deal of people online few of them really (...) (23 years ago, 28-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Friendships, online acquaintances, etc.

(...) Right, of course, the more time spent together (if things work out), the closer you'll be. (...) Hmm, I agree and disagree altogether. Two weeks ago I would've agreed; but I've just visited my hometown and saw my old friends, who I haven't had (...) (23 years ago, 28-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keeping things in perspective

(...) Ahhh, but then they would also have to change their building style. ; ) Robert (23 years ago, 28-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keeping things in perspective

(...) You bring up some very good points that are pertinent to some Lego/Life things that I've been musing on. I may be alone in this, but I do sometimes feel that the bricks own me...I just *have* to get such and such a set to top off my (...) (23 years ago, 29-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Keeping things in perspective

(...) Strong resonances with me. The hobby (like all hobbies?) lends itself to addictive behaviour. At least it's not physically addictive, although maybe the FOTW rush is a bit of a worry. Perhaps it's also the dissociation from reality that can (...) (23 years ago, 30-Mar-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)