 Off-Topic / Debate / 7360
Re: Rumor control?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 19:16:31 GMT

This could probably be posted in OT.FUN, but I figured this was a safer
place to start.

Last night, while availing myself of the fine Pittsburgh mass transit
system, I had the pleasure of sitting a few seats away from a quite vocal
and colorfully informed anti-Gore-ist.  Most of his patter was stuff I've
heard before, but he launched two doozies that were new to me:

1) Al Gore plans to outlaw the gasoline engine in an effort to pander to the
    ecologically over-zealous

Rather a harsh way to put it, but yes, I believe that if you take what Al
has said at one time or another at face value, he does see global warming as
such a huge problem that any measures may not be too drastic, including
disassembling all of industrial civilization (so we can sweat to death in
the dark I guess). Read _Earth in the Balance_...

Note that if you take OTHER statements he's made at face value you can come
to entirely different conclusions.

Ditto for Dubya, you can get all sorts of conclusions from his statements as
well (although there is one inescapable one: the boy slept through all his
English classes...).

Me, I prefer the Party of Principle to the Panderers of Spin.

2) Al Gore plans to seize all gold in the US, presumably to fund his gas-
    less auto industry.

a BIT overstated, but see #1

I'm not the best-informed individual, but I'm surprised that neither of
these issues made it to the debate floor.  Thoughts?

Vast left/right/center wing conspiracy? <grin>

++Lar

So, I gotta ask, though, this anti Gore, pro car guy, what was he doing on
Mass Transit instead of enjoying the last few days of freely driving his
1989 deuce and a quarter before the blacksuited ecotroops came and took it away?