 Off-Topic / Debate / 6303
Re: Concerns with Racial Attitudes and Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:27:57 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Tim Courtney writes:

I would think that (and this is just my opinion) TLC would have the least
resistance not playing the race card.

  "Race card" has connotations well in excess of the bounds of this debate and
should be employed with caution.  Typically the term is used in situations in
which the implication of racism is perceived to yield a result positive to one
side's view or agenda.  The debate at hand (disregarding the benighted and
generally unhelpful contributor you correctly cite below) involves not
the "race" of minifigs, but their depiction of specific characters. The
term "race card" is imprecise, and its repeated inclusion here changes the
focus of the debate from character representations to racial stereotyping.

After reading this thread and looking back into past discussions, I leave
now with the strong feeling this was used by people to cry racism.

That's a rather heavy accusation. Can you point to where you feel this
happened?

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=6296
http://news.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=8538
http://news.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=8462

  These are undeniably goofy posts and contribute little positive to the
discussion.  Regretably, their presence cheapens the debate as a whole.

The attitudes expressed in Damien's posts I find offensive. He also has a
few totally illogical arguments like 'making C-3P0 green and the Millenium
Falcon pink.'

  While his presentation is scattershot, a useful point can be reassembled
from his offerings.  Specifically, if the question of representational minifig
color is regarded as equivalent to the representation of specific vehicles,
then his analogy is correct. If, however, the issue is forcibly regarded as
race-oriented, then his analogy, like his posts in general, fails.

     Dave!