 Off-Topic / Debate / 6261
Re: Harry Potter and young people's books
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 16:02:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jennifer L. Boger writes:
some of my favorites:

Bridge to Terabithia - by Katherine Paterson

I'm pretty sure this is a Newberry or Caldecot winner.

It won the Newberry award.  The Caldecott award is for illustrated books.  I
have yet to go wrong by reading a Newberry Award or Newberry Honor Award book.

Bridge to Terabithia and The Giving Tree always make me cry

To this very day, I cry if I read the giving tree.  I always feel silly, and • my
son (almost six) doesn't get it, but that's OK.  I bet he will someday.

Chris

Gosh, I'll have to get it and an industrial grade hanky at the same time, I
suppose.

Illustrated books: Graeme Base's Sign of the Seashorse.  Delightful rhymes and
alliterations that succeeds on both a kid's and adult's level.  Great fun to
read aloud.  I'd like this without the illustrations, and those are delicious,
too.  Animalia is fun, and The Eleventh Hour is fascinating (all by Base).

Chris Van Allsburg:  The Polar Express, Jumanji, The Garden of Abdul Gasazi,
The Stranger.  My favorite Van Allsburg, The Mysteries of Harris Burdick,
doesn't actually tell a story.  It a purported set of "lost" stories - only one
illustration and accompanying caption from each story along with the title of
the story has "survived".  Great
exercise for the imagination.

Bruce