 Off-Topic / Debate / 6262
Re: Responsible Hunting (was Re: We are what we eat. Or is that "whom we eat?")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 09:44:52 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

In this light they do not choose to copulate; they are driven to it.

Do you think that this is different with humans?

Do you HONESTLY think human sex drive is the same as deer?  Come on, now, really.
Deer don't have recreational sex, humans do.  While hormones CAN affect humans,
humans can generally have/not have sex whenever they feel like it.

  This is interesting to me, since you're asserting the same things about
animals that I recently asserted about plants, for the same reason, and (to
the opposing view) for similarly arbitrary reasons.

I can't put this all together.  You asserted that plants are sensory organisms,
and my response was that they're just reacting biochemically.  Is that what you
mean?

If I REALLY had time, I'd dig out the references for some experiments done in the
70s or 80s - in one, the researcher THOUGHT about dipping the leaf of a plant into
steaming hot coffee.  Sensors on the plant picked up electrical spikes every time
he THOUGHT about it.  In another, a researcher walked into a room with several
plants in it, picked one, and shredded it to pieces.  The next time that same
researcher walked into the room, the sensors on the other plants spiked.

You might be able to prove "just reacting biochemically" on the second experiment
(except that the plants did not spike sensors if OTHER people walked into the
room), but please do try to do so on the first, I don't see how you possibly can.

I can't remember the plants used, unfortunately.  I THINK philodendrons in at least
one experiment.

I guess I do see what you mean.  I'm asserting that there is something that
magically different about organisms with a CNS and you're asserting that that
magic only happens when you get to the level of humans (for whatever reason).
Right?

My problem is you are forcing a CNS as the "magic" - prove to me that a CNS similar
to mammals is REQUIRED for any form of sentience.  (BTW, plants reacting
"biochemically" can be equated to animals CNS transmitting sequences - after all,
OUR CNS is simply a chemical pathway).

The "magic" in my mind is self-awareness and changing the environment to suit the
organism, rather than the other way around.  Very few organisms on Earth fit that
criteria.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/