 Off-Topic / Debate / 6263
Re: Why is cockfighting bad? (was: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 10:01:08 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

Murdering someone is okay?  That's not weird, that's really sick.  At least by
my morality.

No, not exactly okay.  I mean, it's to be avoided when possible.  But if your
choice is to kill or be killed, what do you choose?  Under most conditions, I
think I'll choose kill.

Yet there are people out there that would probably choose to die rather than kill -
my wife doesn't think she could kill someone to protect her life.

All I can hope is that if that situation ever arises, that I am there, because I
have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that I would kill without hesitation if my life
or my wife's was actively threatened by someone (the only hesitation would be to
find the most effective weapon around, even if it was in the attackers hands).  If
I didn't have a weapon, I'd beat them into a bloody pulp if they didn't kill me
first.   And I wouldn't stop until I KNEW they were dead, because if they actively
threatened my/my wife's life, I would consider them a threat until they were dead.

(By actively threatening, I don't mean WORDS, I mean coming at me/us with a weapon
or body part and attempting bodily harm (along with other cues) - don't EVER do
that to me and expect to come out if it clean.  I don't look for fights, but if one
is pressed on me, I have no problem being extremely brutal.)

Agriculture.  By my (and the 'real') definition of torture, common
agricultural practices are torturous.  Read up on meat fowl production if you
would like to be nausiated.

Only the unsanitary conditions nauseate me - fowl are beyond stupid, I don't really
CARE what they may or may not feel, especially since 99.999% of fowl in agriculture
wouldn't exist if they weren't raised specifically for meat/eggs.  If the
Apocalypse ever comes, I'm raiding the nearest fowl factory for every hen I can
find ;-)

(Walking around and peering at that) I can accept this - but we have different
definitions of need, so we are going to disagree about application.

Man...I just can't win with you!  :-)  Because you have the "need" to eat meat,
right?

Hehehe, I read in Playboy today that a study of people in the 60s and 70s that ate
large amounts of TOFU have less cognitive abilities and lower brain mass than ones
that didn't - the study wasn't about that, they found the causative links from
sifting through some data for some other study.

So go ahead, weedeaters, keep it up - I'll stick with my cancer-causing MEAT ;-)

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/