 Off-Topic / Debate / 6239
Re: Why is cockfighting bad? (was: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:41:50 GMT

Oh, and why the mountain lion/deer hang-up?

I have no mountain lion deer hang ups, you're the one who keeps bringing them
up.  I don't have anything like mountain lions in my area.  I have

I was talking about ME, not you.  You snipped my explanation of such.  :-)

Oh!  Not on purpose...I guess I misunderstood.

Murder is murder.  He did it to survive?  Okay, that means he'll do it • again.
Best to take him out now since he violated a basic social compact.

Weird!  So violating a social contract (that was never even agreed to in any
kind of explicit way) is more severe than torturing to death some other
creature at a whim?  OK, referring down to your agree to disagree comment, I
guess we will have to.

Murdering someone is okay?  That's not weird, that's really sick.  At least by
my morality.

No, not exactly okay.  I mean, it's to be avoided when possible.  But if your
choice is to kill or be killed, what do you choose?  Under most conditions, I
think I'll choose kill.

And I didn't say a thing about torturing to death anything.  When have we
discussed torture?

Agriculture.  By my (and the 'real') definition of torture, common
agricultural practices are torturous.  Read up on meat fowl production if you
would like to be nausiated.

I have claimed that hurting things is bad and that
we don't have to.  Those two points together lead to it being bad.

Hurting things is bad, but under what conditions?

Generally.

What if we do it for our cat?

<squirm>Um, it's still bad.  <Oh shoot, now what am I going to do?>

What if that cat is a mountain lion?  What if we kill the deer for the
pet mountain lion?  Bad?

Kind of.  <OK, ok, uncle...let me up.>

I don't know.

If the mountain lion does it itself.  That's  natural.
The deer is still dead!  And I probably killed it cleaner than the mountain
lion.

But...but...yeah, I suppose.

OK, I think that 'rights' is a messy idea.  Rights don't exist in some kind • of
ultimate sense.  So, like I've said all along, we have the same rights as the
deer.  None.  I want to put it on us instead.  We have the responsibility to
not hurt animals when we don't need to.  Mountain lions are the same...but • they
need to.

(Walking around and peering at that) I can accept this - but we have different
definitions of need, so we are going to disagree about application.

Man...I just can't win with you!  :-)  Because you have the "need" to eat meat,
right?

Is it cleaner to you if I totally abandon the rights aspect of the argument?

Yes.  I think your preceeding statement is much better and removes a lot of
baggage.

Agreed.  The more I think about it, I like that stance better.

Chris