 Off-Topic / Debate / 6268
Re: Why is cockfighting bad? (was: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 16:39:00 GMT

What's up Tom?  You just dial in to .debate and get angry?

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Christopher Weeks wrote:

No, not exactly okay.  I mean, it's to be avoided when possible.  But if • your
choice is to kill or be killed, what do you choose?  Under most conditions, • I
think I'll choose kill.

Yet there are people out there that would probably choose to die rather than • kill -
my wife doesn't think she could kill someone to protect her life.

Yeah, my wife used to say that, but she doesn't any more.  I simply don't
understand it, but I acknowledge that it's there.  I'm not sure what it shows
WRT this discussion though.

All I can hope is that if that situation ever arises, that I am there, because • I
have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that I would kill without hesitation if my

I agree with all of what you said about the willingness to be brutal.

Agriculture.  By my (and the 'real') definition of torture, common
agricultural practices are torturous.  Read up on meat fowl production if • you
would like to be nausiated.

Only the unsanitary conditions nauseate me - fowl are beyond stupid, I don't • really
CARE what they may or may not feel,

Fine.  I know, understand, and accept that many many people don't care about
the limitless life of torture that they condemn other animals to.  Really.  And
I don't hate you for it.  I think it's creepy and 'ethically immature' for lack
of a better term off the top of my head.  That's all.

especially since 99.999% of fowl in agriculture
wouldn't exist if they weren't raised specifically for meat/eggs.

There we go, so they owe it to us.  Using the same logic (that's the logic you
used, not me) your parents have the right to torture you because you wouldn't
be here if it weren't for them.

If the
Apocalypse ever comes, I'm raiding the nearest fowl factory for every hen I • can
find ;-)

Well, me too.

Hehehe, I read in Playboy today that a study of people in the 60s and 70s that • ate
large amounts of TOFU have less cognitive abilities and lower brain mass than • ones
that didn't - the study wasn't about that, they found the causative links from
sifting through some data for some other study.

I've actually wondered about that.  I've been almost vegetarian for ten years.
My mid-term memory is much worse than it was ten years ago.  I wonder very
seriously if there is a link.  On the other hand, causal/comparitive studies
can not be conducted in the way that you suggest this one was.  Only
correlative -- and the correlation has to be much stronger from a data sift --
are valid.  Maybe the dumb people in the sample pop'n were more likely to eat
tofu for another reason.

So go ahead, weedeaters, keep it up - I'll stick with my cancer-causing MEAT
;-)

I'm sure.

Chirs