 Off-Topic / Fun / 5706
Re: Harry Potter and young people's books
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 15:26:30 GMT

All those strange permutations of debate based off the Harry Potter books
becoming a Lego line.  Which leads into...

The actual Harry Potter books.

Why is this a "debate" topic? Seems to me personal preference is just that,
preference, not a debatable thing. So this thread belongs in .fun. Can we
debate that? :-)

Well for heaven's sake - why didn't you redirect this to .fun then?  Shazam -
there we go.

So where am I going with this?  I'm interested in peoples' non-adult favorite
books (be it Harry Potter or otherwise).

I would go with the Heinlein juveniles as a group.
"Have spacesuit, will travel" , "The Star Beast", "The Rolling
Stones", "Podkayne of Mars", and others, including, believe it or
not, "Starship Troopers" which was written as a juvie.

A libertarian writer, it figures.  :-)

I liked his juvenile books better than his "adult" books.  Double Star and
Citizen of the Galaxy come to mind.

Uh-oh, maybe I should keep this in debate: Starship Troopers is a borderline
juvie book at best.  It may have gotten the Hugo award, but I'd rate it as the
worst Heinlein book I've read (but it should be noted that I don't like his
adult books in general, so it's IMHO only).

Also, Jack London's "White Fang" and "Call of the Wild" and "Sea Wolf" all of
which I read when young although they may not be considered non adult at this
point.

More borderline books (high school assignments).  All interesting ones, though.

My daughter reads a lot of Animorphs but that stuff is like cotton candy, spun
out in large quantities but not a lot of substance there.

++Lar

Did Goosebumps finally die out?

Bruce