 Off-Topic / Fun / 5715
Re: Harry Potter and young people's books
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 13:13:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
All those strange permutations of debate based off the Harry Potter books
becoming a Lego line.  Which leads into...

The actual Harry Potter books.

Why is this a "debate" topic? Seems to me personal preference is just that,
preference, not a debatable thing. So this thread belongs in .fun. Can we
debate that? :-)

Not now, it's in .fun now...good going Lar!

So where am I going with this?  I'm interested in peoples' non-adult • favorite
books (be it Harry Potter or otherwise).

The bulk of this list is reasonable to classify as juvenile literature, but
I've also included some non-juvenile at the end that I think is especially good
for kids.

You mentioned Prydain.  I have to agree quite strongly.  They rock!  I can't
get my boy interested...I'm not sure why.

The Laura Ingalls Wilder books.

All Harry Potter.

_The Wheel on the School_ by Meindert DeJong.

Anything by Maurice Sendak, especially _Pierre_ and _Chicken Soup with Rice_.

All of Dr. Seuss (different books for different ages, see _Fox in Socks_)

All of Richard Scary, but especially the original _What Do People Do All Day_.

Most Judy Blume, but some are heavily girl and teen oriented.

Everything (litterally) by Beverly Cleary.

_The Great Brain_ books by John D. Fitzgerald.

Everything (again litterally) by Roald Dahl.

Most stuff by Sandra Boynton for the young kids.

Our Animal Friends at Maple Hill Farm by Alice and Martin Provensen.

Hugh Lofting's _Doctor Doolittle_ books.

_Lord of the Flies_ by ____ (I'm having a brain fart...you know who I mean.)

_The Mote in God's Eye_ by Niven and Pournelle.

All SF from Cordwainer Smith.

_Ender's Game_ and series by Orson Scott Card

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King, but you might want to read first to make
sure it's appropriate.  For teens, not kids, maybe.

I would go with the Heinlein juveniles as a group.
"Have spacesuit, will travel" , "The Star Beast", "The Rolling
Stones", "Podkayne of Mars", and others, including, believe it or
not, "Starship Troopers" which was written as a juvie.

Ugh...they're so boring.  Sorry ;-)  I don't know why, but I just can't get
into any of the literature that is commonly liked by libertarians...it's weird.
Rand is Gawdawfully boring too.

My daughter reads a lot of Animorphs but that stuff is like cotton candy, • spun
out in large quantities but not a lot of substance there.

Did Goosebumps finally die out?

No.  I get the idea that they are equally nausiating.  But at least kids read
them...it gets them into shape to read People and the National Enquirer every
week.  Blech.

Chris