 Off-Topic / Debate / 5955
Re: Public transportation (was Re: Age limitations)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 13:19:06 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:
  You're lucky you've got a nice bus route; my TRU inconveniently located
relative to the T, up a muddy hill and across maniacal Pittburgh traffic.
  There's also no denying that the arena of mass transit is exactly that--mass.
For carting tons of people to and from work, a subway is much more efficient
use of space than 100 automobiles, but a subway doesn't generally compare in
terms of day-to-day usage.

Mass transit can work for day-to-day useage if the places you want to go
are convenient to the mass transit lines. In Boston they are. Part of
this is that many of the buisiness districts were developed before the
car, and therefore are along the subway lines. If the free market is
allowed to operate, many of the stores will start relocating closer to
the mass transit lines if they are inconvenient for the mass transit
lines to service (of course certain stores won't, a building supply
store won't benefit much from being near mass transit, no ones going to
carry a stack of 2x4s or 4x8 sheets of sheetrock on the bus... actually,
the building supply stores might relocate themselves to other locations,
their biggest buisiness is construction contractors, who in a free
market will exert more pressure for the stores to be better suited for
them, both in location, and how they operate).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com