 Off-Topic / Debate / 5941
Re: Public transportation (was Re: Age limitations)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 19:35:42 GMT

Mass transit will have little hope of being effective until the real
costs of transportation are directly allocated. Even then, it will still
have a struggle since people are willing to shell out a lot of money
even now for personal transportation (look at the cost of cars and their
fuel and maintenance).

The cities which have reasonably effective mass transit systems have an
advantage no other city can attain. Significant portions of the mass
transit in those cities was developed before the car was a common mode
of transport.

What is most sad to me is that we are allowing our railways to decline
(strongly fueled by the general public's disgust with large companies
actually making proffits on their investments). If the costs were
correctly apportioned, I suspect a lot more would travel by rail.

I also wonder if the costs were properly apportioned whether we would
use busses and rail over air travel more?

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com