 Off-Topic / Debate / 5951
Re: Public transportation (was Re: Age limitations)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 05:05:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Erik Olson writes:
Hi non-debating Dave,

  "non-debating"?!  You must have me confused with someone else--I nitpick
**everything**!  8^)

Earlier, I'd seen the eerie flames burning on the tracks out in the yard.
Then, down below, express trains rushed in from both directions! Above
me, an airplane roared low! The light from the headlamp grew brighter, and
brighter! I was three stories up, standing on a shaking pile of steel girders
and concrete, yes! Yes! An earthquake must be like this!

  Oh, I don't deny that the vehicles of mass transit are often very cool--I
myself love to watch trainyards at work, and I'm not even a train junkie!
There's something, I don't know... primal (and not in any weird way) about all
that raw power at work.  The sheer tonnage involved is staggering!

Anyway, mass transportation works best not for errands, but for going to the
same place every day and carrying little. Except for this nice bus line I've
got that makes the rounds of the Toys R Us stores...

  You're lucky you've got a nice bus route; my TRU inconveniently located
relative to the T, up a muddy hill and across maniacal Pittburgh traffic.
  There's also no denying that the arena of mass transit is exactly that--mass.
For carting tons of people to and from work, a subway is much more efficient
use of space than 100 automobiles, but a subway doesn't generally compare in
terms of day-to-day usage.

     Dave!