 Off-Topic / Debate / 5940
Re: Public transportation (was Re: Age limitations)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 19:13:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Matthew Miller writes:
Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote:
you can ride trams, funiculars, rack railways, canal boats, ships, trains,
busses (diesel and electric) and subways within your zone for 24 hours for
about 5 bucks. But then the pop density is a lot bigger and I'm convinced • that
there is some cost shifting going on somewhere, they HAVE to be losing money.

More flamebait *grin*:

Of course, in the US, we pour a lot of money into our car-oriented system
(Look at the Big Dig in Boston, for example) effectively using public
subsidies to undercut public transportation. No wonder most Americans prefer
to drive -- the actual cost of it is hidden from them.

With the recent high gasoline prices, we suddenly hear a lot of people
demanding that the government should cut gas taxes (never mind that those
taxes help pay for the roads) or even release fuel from our reserves. What a
short-sighted and ultimately futile "solution". Instead, we should make a
major investment in light rail.

The "great" MARTA (Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) is a excelent
example of what Larry was talking about. This system was built by local
goverment (city of Atlanta mainly) to be used by the Metro Atlanta area. That
area is currently defined as 15 counties (maybe 9 when the system started) but
the trains only include two counties. I believe the main purpose of the system
is for the mayors of Atlanta (currently Bill Cambel) to give jobs and money to
thier supporters. It has a very limited route outside of the downtown area, so
unless you live and work in the city limits of Atlanta you're not going to get
much use of the train system. There are no trains in the major suburbs of the
area, and that is were all the traffic is. The first station I come near is
next to my office, but that is the last station on the line. Really it's more
of a system to bring people who live downtown out to the jobs on the skirts of
town, instead of bringing the people who live in the burbs into the city.

They aren't removing any cars off of the highway since a major portion of the
riding population are riding not to save on gas or traffic, but are riding
since they don't have a car to start with.

Its a shame that a major internation city such as Atlanta can't see beyond
it's own selfishness and work harder at making the system work for everyone.

jt