 Off-Topic / Debate / 5938
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 19:07:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Matthew Miller writes:
Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote:
you can ride trams, funiculars, rack railways, canal boats, ships, trains,
busses (diesel and electric) and subways within your zone for 24 hours for
about 5 bucks. But then the pop density is a lot bigger and I'm convinced • that
there is some cost shifting going on somewhere, they HAVE to be losing money.

More flamebait *grin*:

Of course, in the US, we pour a lot of money into our car-oriented system
(Look at the Big Dig in Boston, for example) effectively using public
subsidies to undercut public transportation. No wonder most Americans prefer
to drive -- the actual cost of it is hidden from them.

With the recent high gasoline prices, we suddenly hear a lot of people
demanding that the government should cut gas taxes (never mind that those
taxes help pay for the roads) or even release fuel from our reserves. What a
short-sighted and ultimately futile "solution". Instead, we should make a
major investment in light rail.

Well, if you want to turn this discussion way over to some other road, there
are lots of things we (America) should make a major investment in, to include
better public tranport, like lite rail. Others being alternative fuel/power
sources for running the lite rail and the cars we have.

Somehow I don't believe that most Americans will see our quote-unquote tax
surplus as anything but money in our pockets, rather than see it actually be
used for something so essoteric as these quality of life issues, one of which
would free us from outside influence completely, (OPEC).

Maybe most Americans will wake up one day.
Rich

--
Have Fun! C-Ya!

Legoman34

*****
Legoman34 (Richard W. Schamus)... (No, I don't work for TLC, but I want
to...)

BRICKFEST 2001 IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER... START MAKING PLANS TODAY.

Card carrying LUGNET MEMBER: #70
Visit http://www.wamalug.org &
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/1334
...(the wait is over...)
..."The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." ...
*****