 Off-Topic / Debate / 5950
Re: Public transportation (was Re: Age limitations)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 04:37:46 GMT

Hi non-debating Dave,

I'm in New York, and I was a transportation junkie. I would enjoy standing on
top of the "subway" elevated platform at Woodside in Queens, where it crosses
over the Long Island Railroad tracks. One night, there I was, listening to the
honking cars all around in the dark, and peering off at the approaching subway
headlamp. Earlier, I'd seen the eerie flames burning on the tracks out in the
yard. Then, down below, express trains rushed in from both directions! Above me,
an airplane roared low! The light from the headlamp grew brighter, and brighter!
I was three stories up, standing on a shaking pile of steel girders and
concrete, yes! Yes! An earthquake must be like this!

Afterwards, I just stood there in the dark. The night construction workers told
stories about some ancient rail they'd removed earlier, 50 years those straight
tracks served, and could do 50 more, but they're not allowed to reuse the good
ones.

Anyway, mass transportation works best not for errands, but for going to the
same place every day and carrying little. Except for this nice bus line I've got
that makes the rounds of the Toys R Us stores...