 Off-Topic / Debate / 5936
  Re: Age limitations

(...) More flamebait *grin*: Of course, in the US, we pour a lot of money into our car-oriented system (Look at the Big Dig in Boston, for example) effectively using public subsidies to undercut public transportation. No wonder most Americans prefer (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Age limitations

(...) that (...) Well, if you want to turn this discussion way over to some other road, there are lots of things we (America) should make a major investment in, to include better public tranport, like lite rail. Others being alternative fuel/power (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Public transportation (was Re: Age limitations)

(...) that (...) The "great" MARTA (Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority) is a excelent example of what Larry was talking about. This system was built by local goverment (city of Atlanta mainly) to be used by the Metro Atlanta area. That area is (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Public transportation (was Re: Age limitations)

Mass transit will have little hope of being effective until the real costs of transportation are directly allocated. Even then, it will still have a struggle since people are willing to shell out a lot of money even now for personal transportation (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Public transportation (was Re: Age limitations)

(...) This is certainly true--a related problem with mass transit involves the current impossibility of on-demand convenience; if I want to pick up a few groceries, I can hop in a car and be there and back in twenty-five minutes. If I'd try to take (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Public transportation (was Re: Age limitations)

(...) Here in Houston the local politicians are concocting a really bone-head plan to start a light-rail system. They want to put it along our main street corridor from downtown, through our museum district and medical center to the Astrodome/ new (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Public transportation (was Re: Age limitations)

(...) Believe me, after living in a city that has gone through the process of hosting the Olympics, it isn't that big of a thrill. Basicly you give over all rights to your city to the IOC for 3-4 years and let them do as they will. Sure you might (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Public transportation (was Re: Age limitations)

Hi non-debating Dave, I'm in New York, and I was a transportation junkie. I would enjoy standing on top of the "subway" elevated platform at Woodside in Queens, where it crosses over the Long Island Railroad tracks. One night, there I was, listening (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Public transportation (was Re: Age limitations)

(...) "non-debating"?! You must have me confused with someone else--I nitpick **everything**! 8^) (...) Oh, I don't deny that the vehicles of mass transit are often very cool--I myself love to watch trainyards at work, and I'm not even a train (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Public transportation (was Re: Age limitations)

(...) Mass transit can work for day-to-day useage if the places you want to go are convenient to the mass transit lines. In Boston they are. Part of this is that many of the buisiness districts were developed before the car, and therefore are along (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Public transportation (was Re: Age limitations)

(...) that--mass. (...) Sheesh! Pittsburgh! Not Pittburgh! :-) I'll at least give you credit for creativity (usually people write Pittsburg, which is how the other Pittsburgs in Kansan, CA, TX and where ever else spell it). Sorry if you were making (...) (24 years ago, 11-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Public transportation (was Re: Age limitations)

(...) D'oh--Sorry, just a mistype! Though I could have spelled it "Picksburgh" and still been using a locally-accepted pronunciation! (...) On second thought, that's what I was doing--I didn't mistype it. 8^) (...) That is 100% correct! I live about (...) (24 years ago, 11-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)