 Off-Topic / Debate / 565
Re: Sorry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 16:58:22 GMT

<about someone buying stuff at a really high price>
If he's hellbent on doing it anyway, it's not morally wrong that he does
it, and it's not hurting anyone except himself, it's not really any of
your business whether I help him part with his cash or not. Better me,
honestly and openly, than some dishonest person, eh?

There's a couple of points there. Firstly, I don't think there was anything
wrong with what Daniel was doing. As several people have pointed out, he
was honest about what he was selling. I'm sure lots of us have profited
from selling or auctioning stuff. I can't really see any difference between
that and what shops do: They make a profit by making stuff available to people
who wouldn't otherwise be able to buy them as conveniently.

But at the same time I'm unhappy with arguments that imply that just because
someone is willing to buy something at the price the seller is selling it for,
then it must be ok. I can think of lots of examples where sellers can find
buyers but I'd still say the seller is acting wrongly - like drugs pushers
and arms traders. I guess in the end it comes down to whether the seller
is acting in the best interests of the buyer and the community outside,
allowing for his making a profit. Which probably means taking each case
individually.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com