 Off-Topic / Debate / 558
557  |  559
Subject:
Lego selling practices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:37:26 GMT

<snip>
"If you have to have this RIGHT NOW, I'll hook you up, but you're gonna
pay. It will be easily available later. Maybe you should wait."

and

"Star Wars is rare, it's going to stay rare, act now."

The first is true. The second is fraudulent. More power to the first
one, more flaming oil to the second. You can't stop people from acting
foolishly, but you can put a surgeon general's warning on the package.

You can't STOP people from acting foolishly, but you don't have to be
the one to help a fool be parted from his money, do you?

<Adam holds his nose and jumps in, flailing limbs wildly> The
assumption that someone is being foolish is questionable. When the new
Star Wars movies come out, I'll bet many fans would pay $50 to be able
to sit in on the pre-screening that each theater has to do to make sure
that the film arrived in one piece. Yeah, the movie will premiere three
days later, but people are willing to pay $50 to see it sooner. Three
days sooner.
To me, that's dumb. I wouldn't do it. I can wait three days. Heck, I
can wait two weeks. But I'm not a frothing Star Wars fan. I only have
bandwagon status. I can't knock someone for wanting to pay double
speederbike price to get something a week early, and as long as the
advertisement isn't misleading, Dan is providing a service/product that
someone may want. Not me, but that's okay.
The only problem I see with Dan's posting is that it was misplaced. A
lego newsgroup is going to be well-informed of Star Wars lego
availability, and those who want stuff early will most likely have
already lined up the channels to do so. So perhaps Dan's post was
presumptuous. There are much worse things one can do in lego newsgroups.

Adam

bwappo@ee.net