 Off-Topic / Debate / 4522
  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I honestly know little to nothing about eastern religions. But I figure, if there's no god to be accountible to, it doesn't matter if you believe in it or not. It might be a nice little "this is good, this is bad" system that might have it's (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Eastern vs. Western religions (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) Well, from what I know of Eastern religions, they've always made more sense to me than Western religions. (I'm thinking Zen Buddhism vs. Christianity in particular here.) (...) IMHO, holding oneself accountable to a deity is to ignore the one (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I would suggest that its a conceit of your ego that these "things" exist. Love is probably just your nervous system "grooving" with someone else's nervous system. There are lots of popular "scientific" views now that "love" is largely a (...) (24 years ago, 4-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I knew that somehow you could boil it down to a mechanical apparatus if you wanted to. But in my heart I've gotta believe that we're more than just really sophisticated amoebas (no nitpicking please!) There are truths that supersede science (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Eastern vs. Western religions (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) that (...) And my beanie little brain fluctuates in a different manner. I think since people's understanding is so limited, especially of each other, they can't possibly know the heart of the one they're forgiving. We can rationalize that (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I think the more we build up the idea of love, the more disappointed we are in how it plays out in reality. By accepting a more science-based view, I feel I have something closer to the truth of it and I am therefore not disappointed in my (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Eastern vs. Western religions (was: Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?)

(...) So Todd, is that just your opinion or what? ;) Ben Roller (24 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I think the point of those religions is that you believe in it because it's true, not because you are afraid of your god. Ben Roller (24 years ago, 5-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) But I think you're limiting yourself by settling for such low expectations of love. Not to sound psychological, but if you're protecting yourself from being hurt, then your protecting yourself from the joy that could possibly come too. Of (...) (24 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) it (...) Point well taken. How do you base what you believe is true? On what fits your current lifestyle best? I met a woman once who told me she believed in reincarnation just because she felt like it. She was a "Good Lutheran." (her words) (...) (24 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) I think this is an interesting thing for you to say. If memory serves, you are paraphrasing Paul (1 Corinthians 13? Except in King James it says "charity" instead of "love"). The difference is that Paul was talking about God's love for (...) (24 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Does God have a monopoly on gods?

(...) Well, my friend,, you got the right passage but you better re-read it. My paraphrase (actually my best recollection from the New International version) is not merely God's love for humanity. But you are correct that love in it's purest form (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)