 Off-Topic / Debate / 28444
Re: Aeroflot Antonov An-28
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2007 17:37:14 GMT

--snip--

   This is the main reason I wanted to respond.

I am not doing this to disrespect active soldiers or the rank. I may not always agree with the reasons for wars but I give my respect to the bravery of people in the armed services. Any rudeness from calling you sergeant is intended only at you the individual and not at the rank or soldiers in general.

you finally admitted to some rudeness

I never denied it. Unlike you I’m usually aware of when I am or am not being rude.

   It is like saying “Kill all the lawyers,” few would strip away the nuances of that statement saying it does not apply to all lawyers, just you.

No. Most would understand the difference. It takes a special sort of brain not to see the difference. The kind of brain that would also do something like this.

   I do not expect him to respect me and I know he does not, but it is a moniker of respect, not something to be ashamed of when used in the correct fashion.

The correct fashion is while serving in the armed services or being addressed formally outside it.

Here you are totally wrong. When you are retired from service you are refered to as your last rank. You can see this on CNN and Fox news when they have their retired Generals or Colonels commenting. The mail I get from the VA or from the Army is always addressed to 1SG.

Formal situations.

   One never outlives their rank.

I’m well aware of this. If I ever met you in a formal situation I would address you correctly as First Sergeant (John) Patterson.

   You were thoughtless here and took the easy way out. I just think that you could belittle me in a different way.

Not thoughtless at all. I thought that calling you sergeant would annoy you and I was completely correct.

   When meeting with troops at Ft Bliss I am always introduced as First Sergeant wheather it is by a private or a general. And this was for your information.

Military situation. When trying to provide a counter-example it’s usually a good idea to make sure it’s actually counter to what someone else has said.

   Tim - I think that it should be left here. I was answering Richie anyway. John P

If you really wanted to leave it alone you wouldn’t bother making more commentary.

Tim