 Off-Topic / Debate / 27959
Re: Supply-Side Economics? The Evidence Says No!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:51:53 GMT

   Tim already gave a good answer, but I’d add that a booming economy doesn’t help those in the lower income bracket, even if they’re there not out of laziness but out of circumstance. Why is wealth-redistribution acceptable when it’s redistributed to the wealthy, but not to the poor? The argument is that the wealthy will put the money back into the economy. Well, what are the impoverished going to do with it? Burn it?

The idea is that it gets reinvested into businesses which further spurs growth, jobs, and wage increases.

That would be nice if it were true, but despite two administrations espousing that view, it has yet to work as promised. It fails for a number of reasons. First, you can’t build a business if there isn’t a demand to support it, and if the masses are impoverished, then your business won’t be supported. That is, if a rich guy’s widget factory closed because nobody could afford to buy widgets, then if you give the rich guy a barrel of money, he’s not going to reopen his failed business. He’s going to take it elsewhere. And in today’s world much investment is made overseas, so if you give money to that same rich guy, he’s going to send it out of the country.

Well, let’s be honest here. If your product is too expensive for the masses in the USA, it probably doesn’t stand much of a chance in an even MORE empoverished world market overseas, especially with foreign governments’ market-protection policies (tariffs, etc).

WE are THE market; we are THE CONSUMERS; WE fuel the world economy. This, BTW, is a blessing AND a curse IMO.

   But if you use that money to assist those on the lower rungs,

How specifically? Education? We do that.

   they will put it back into the US economy, indirectly giving it to that same rich guy after all, but helping out a greater portion of the population along the way.

The problem is that they don’t use that help to better their situation and become productive, but to simply secure themselves to the public teet. Governmental help too often foils the motivation for improvement, as manifested in worker morale in a communist society.

   The method praised by Bush and Reagan is simply a means of funneling cash to the rich without having to worry about maybe-just-maybe helping someone along the way.

We should define “rich”. About whom are you speaking using this term, Dave!?

   Some boats rise higher on a rising tide, not because of merit but because they started higher (and because they’re not averse to dropping their anchors (ie., the tax burden) onto the other boats.

Life isn’t fair?

Well, no kidding. Every man for himself, and God against all, right? I submit that that’s a regressive, feudalist view, and it’s hardly a Christian sentiment for that matter!

Not at all! I’m a Christian, and I certainly believe that life isn’t fair! I don’t know how one can look at the world and honestly believe otherwise! God’s hand in it all is one of the biggest mysteries to this believer.

   Waging class war is just destructive;

Republicans are the aggressors in that war. Any time a Democrat, a Progressive, or a Liberal says “maybe the poor shouldn’t be punished for being poor,” some Rightwing mouthpiece starts screaming about class warfare. It’s a red herring.

I want to help the poor. I do it. I just don’t think that the government is the proper vehicle for that job in most circumstances.

   But let’s be honest-- the poor don’t pay income tax-- tax cuts favor the rich because they are the ones who pay the taxes. The top 5% of wage earners in this country pay over half of our taxes-- the top half of wage earners pay nearly ALL taxes.

That’s another red herring. The top 5% of wage earners control more than 80% of the wealth, so they’re getting quite a bargain if they’re only paying half of the nation’s taxes.

Well, I’m ALL for tax reform. Personally, I’d like to see the IRS abolished and a VAT installed. That way the rich get soaked, and best of all, it is by themselves-- what could be sweeter (and fairer) than that?

A VAT is the ONLY way to truly make the “rich” pay, because they have so many loopholes available to them that aren’t for the unwashed.

   There’s more clarification to be made in terms of payroll vs. income tax and how the difference punishes the poor more than the rich, but that’s a bigger issue.

I really dislike discussing our tax system because it really sucks, and I wish it would all just be wiped clean and begun anew...

JOHN