 Off-Topic / Debate / 27954
Re: Supply-Side Economics? The Evidence Says No!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 02:25:50 GMT

   All things considered, I’m more annoyed that you didn’t riff on my rating system than that you questioned the methodology of the study!

I give your weak attempt at humor a 2.5 out of 5 (whoopie-cushions).

Hey, I’ll take that. That’s 25% of perfect, after all.

How’s that math working for you lately, Dave!? Looks like half of perfect from here the obstructed-view seats....

Whoops! Not a failing of math, but of reading comprehension. I totally blew past your maximum of five and read a ten in its place. But half-perfect is nifty, too!

   But it is the metric by which we have consistently gauged the economy.

But it’s accurate only inasmuch as an IQ test accurately measures IQ. Which is to say that the IQ test doesn’t measure intelligence; it measures how well you do on the test. The DJA is an indication of how well stocks are trading, and in what volume, blah blah blah. But at best it’s a short-hand means of describing how one measure of the economy sees things.

   I realize that there will always be people in any boom who are not affected, but overall, booms favor everyone, if for no other reason than the commonwealth becomes greater, allowing even the lazy and ne’er-do-wells to benefit.

Some of them even make it to the Whitehouse, despite a long track record of miserably doomed business ventures and personal failures. Maybe this is the land of opportunity after all.

Tim already gave a good answer, but I’d add that a booming economy doesn’t help those in the lower income bracket, even if they’re there not out of laziness but out of circumstance. Why is wealth-redistribution acceptable when it’s redistributed to the wealthy, but not to the poor? The argument is that the wealthy will put the money back into the economy. Well, what are the impoverished going to do with it? Burn it?

Some boats rise higher on a rising tide, not because of merit but because they started higher (and because they’re not averse to dropping their anchors (ie., the tax burden) onto the other boats.

Dave!