 Off-Topic / Debate / 26254
Re: You have got to be kidding me...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:39:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Avery Christy wrote:

Two, I can tell you, having worked at a national monument, that it is very
common to have works of fiction right alongside with the scientific stuff for
sale in the visitor centers of every national monument in the U.S. as long as
the fictional stuff has something to do with the monument or surrounding area or
local history. As long as it sells and makes the Parks Department money, they
will sell it.

The problem as I understand it is that this is a widely regarded as a work of
fiction (or nonsense?) by our own NPS geologists and educators, yet it is being
sold in a manner which makes it appear that the NPS regards it as a  legitimate
scientific text. Which in a nutshell is the problem with the creationist agenda.
They want their unsubstantiated religious beliefs recognized as scientific
theory/fact by our government and thus giving them political power to infuse
additional fundamentalist religious concepts into our society. Hence the whole
public school/evolution issue. Sounds pretty dangerous? You betcha.

But I would agree, based on what I read, that I wouldn't hold Mr. Bush
personally responsible for this one. I've already got enough problems with W.
One more or one less won't make a difference :)

Spencer