 Off-Topic / Debate / 26251
Re: You have got to be kidding me...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:38:25 GMT

http://www.yubanet.com/artman/publish/article_14313.shtml

Grand Canyon made by Noah's flood?

I don't even know where to begin...

Do even Creationists believe that?  Yet supposedly, as stated in the article,
Dubya supports that.  This is the guy running the most powerful nation in the
world--"Grand Canyon created by Noah's flood..."

K then...
(Dave backs away slowly from the crazy man)

Dave K

Okay, two things about this:

One, the article makes this sound as if it was from Bush's own hand that this
was allowed. Probably some bias there. But, this was from the administration.
So, it could have been anyone under Bush acting to support the freedom of
religious speech policy that Bush endorses. Bush has this policy to curry favor
with Christian and Islamic groups by allowing them and anyone else to say what
they want to say freely. Freedom of religion and freedom of speech are what make
this country so darn terrific.

Two, I can tell you, having worked at a national monument, that it is very
common to have works of fiction right alongside with the scientific stuff for
sale in the visitor centers of every national monument in the U.S. as long as
the fictional stuff has something to do with the monument or surrounding area or
local history. As long as it sells and makes the Parks Department money, they
will sell it.

Does this make sense? Ask me for more if you want, I worked at a national
monument and so am familiar with the policies that allowed that book to be
there. This controversy probably started with someone saying, hey, this is a
government place and we have a religious item here, what's with that? And then
the current administration said, no, we have a freedom of speech policy for
EVERYONE, that includes religious groups and so we will continue to sell the
book along with the fiction and non-fiction that we already sell.

-Avery