 Off-Topic / Debate / 26246
Re: You have got to be kidding me...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:57:06 GMT

http://www.yubanet.com/artman/publish/article_14313.shtml

Grand Canyon made by Noah's flood?

I don't even know where to begin...

Do even Creationists believe that?

I'd have to assume they wouldn't, but I dunno. I guess some do:
http://www.probe.org/docs/gr-canyn.html

It's funny-- they do give some actual evidence suggesting that certain areas
were created 'in a catastrophe', and that there's inaccuracies in carbon dating,
but not once is there any evidence to support that it was created in
5000-or-less years, much less just within the span of the flood, which was what?
40 days and nights, plus however long the flood lasted? So it was created in a
few months? They even quote that by regular erosion, it'd take a minimum of
71,000 years, but still somehow think that it happened in 1/100,000th or less of
the time.

I mean, at least if they said "we think it happened within 5,000 years" rather
than "in the span of the flood", I could give them SOME credit for being mildly
reasonable. But seriously. Less than 1 year? Pft. Evidence, please.

Yet supposedly, as stated in the article, Dubya supports that.  This is the
guy running the most powerful nation in the world--"Grand Canyon created by
Noah's flood..."

Well, to be fair, it sounds more like the decision was not that they agreed with
the book's theories, but supported its right to be endorsed or whatever by the
parks department.

But it's an iffy call to make, considering how if this were widely publicized,
you could very easily spin it to make it sound like Bush was claiming that the
Canyon was made by the Flood-- and saying something like that might indeed lose
him some support.

DaveE