 Off-Topic / Debate / 26255
Re: She's back with another awesome article...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:44:54 GMT

David Koudys wrote:
I don't know how much I donate to charities, but I also know it's
more than 0 percent.  I don't know if contributing to the local Jazz
radio station to keep it on the air is "philanthropistic" of me or
not--I am getting something for my contributions--a radio station I
really like listening to.  But there are other contributions.

Hmm, I'd argue that one does get something from almost any charitable
contribution (beyond satisfaction, which of course has value itself). For
example, if I give to a homeless shelter, then someone gets to spend a night
inside instead of on the street. If we never gave to those who had nothing,
then they would feel more pressure to commit crimes to support themselves.

Frank