 Off-Topic / Debate / 26122
26121  |  26123
Subject:
More fodder, similar topic(was: Re: Driver humiliated)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 04:53:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney wrote:
I don't normally start topics in o-t.d, but seeing that this article caught my
interest I thought I would. Plus, it may divert attention away from other
discussions.

Driver humiliated by Texas judge:

My thoughts? If this becomes common practice and it will effectively decrease
the incidents of reckless driving (a growing problem, from my observations), I'm
all for it. This in the same vein to punishing shoplifters by making them stand
on streetcorners wearing signs that tell passersby what offense(s) they've
committed. Not only does it humiliate the offender, it serves as a warning to
all who encounter them not to commit a similar crime lest that become their fate
also.

-Tim

I ran into this BBC article this evening:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3721878.stm

Is it right to hold people responsible for not stopping someone drunk from
getting behind the wheel? Five years prison each for this?

I really could go either way. Again, I'm not very up on modern disciplinary
thought, though it seems a few people here are and will have more well-reasoned
opinions than I will.

What are the social implications of this? I express concern when I'm around
people who have been drinking a bit much and they go to drive, but there's an
aura of 'mind your own business' going on and I'm reluctant to force the
issue--ultimately I see them as responsible for their own actions. The flipside
being, if I'm on the road and there's a drunk who someone didn't stop and they
injure/kill *me* or someone I love, I'd see it the other way.

Thoughts?

-Tim