 Off-Topic / Debate / 26070
Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:01:06 GMT

The problem with drunk driving is the drinking (not trying to be obvious).
Punishments and programs that do not address drinking will not work because if a
person shows poor or no judgement when drunk, then they will continue to do this
after any sober program, training or punishment.

I think we should license drinking and anyone caught in a drinking related
offsense (not just driving) should lose their license. There should be non
trivial penaltys for drinking without a license (spending Friday night and all
day Saturday in jail). This will not work completely (as age restrictions do not
work completely) but it would help, especially if bars and store were fined for
selling to the unlicensed (just like underage).

Lester