 Off-Topic / Debate / 26059
Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:12:42 GMT

If this guy was genuinely remorseful, I expect this would work. However, if he were a recidivist, it would just embitter him further. “Cruel and unusual” punishment is normally a bad idea.

I expect habitual drink drivers will not let this story impact in their behaviour… the best way to do that is to increase the probability of them being caught… random breath testing anyone?

Scott A

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney wrote:
   I don’t normally start topics in o-t.d, but seeing that this article caught my interest I thought I would. Plus, it may divert attention away from other discussions.

Driver humiliated by Texas judge: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3670578.stm

My thoughts? If this becomes common practice and it will effectively decrease the incidents of reckless driving (a growing problem, from my observations), I’m all for it. This in the same vein to punishing shoplifters by making them stand on streetcorners wearing signs that tell passersby what offense(s) they’ve committed. Not only does it humiliate the offender, it serves as a warning to all who encounter them not to commit a similar crime lest that become their fate also.

-Tim