 Off-Topic / Debate / 25882
Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:54:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney wrote:
I don't normally start topics in o-t.d, but seeing that this article caught my
interest I thought I would. Plus, it may divert attention away from other
discussions.

Driver humiliated by Texas judge:

My thoughts? If this becomes common practice and it will effectively decrease
the incidents of reckless driving (a growing problem, from my observations), I'm
all for it. This in the same vein to punishing shoplifters by making them stand
on streetcorners wearing signs that tell passersby what offense(s) they've
committed. Not only does it humiliate the offender, it serves as a warning to
all who encounter them not to commit a similar crime lest that become their fate
also.

-Tim

"The parents of Rachel Blasingame, the victim, praised the unusual sentence."

Unusual.  I think they summed up why I doubt this will not be carried out.
Let's mock people in stocks!  How about a scarlet letter?  Maybe a tattoo on the
forehead so that they can be derided permanently?

I don't think a permanent punishment is in order at all. I'd say 6 months or so
would be more than adequate to 1) make sure the offender never, ever drives
recklessly again, and 2) all he comes into contact with on the road think very
seriously about their actions as well.

But, I don't know how long his punishment was for (the article didn't say?)

-Tim