 Off-Topic / Debate / 26086
Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:29:12 GMT

I guess I have mixed feelings about that one. Making testing both truly random and substantial would require a lot of resources (even testing 1/100 of drivers after 10pm randomly would likely require 2 officers always testing in a town like mine, pop 90,000), and you wouldn’t want to drain those patrolling the streets too much as they can spot people who are drunk easier.

For me, what random testing means is that the fuzz can stop drivers without reason. This is important, as drunk-drivers often drive quite well in normal traffic if they are aware of their situation and are on familiar roads… they never pass amber lights. So the fuzz need to be able to stop late night drivers who drive very conservatively…. before their reaction time is tested.

Scott A