 Off-Topic / Debate / 26069
Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:24:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

   I expect habitual drink drivers will not let this story impact in their behaviour… the best way to do that is to increase the probability of them being caught… random breath testing anyone?

it sounds like an awful hassle to me. A breath-tester in every car -- while the idea burns my ass, would be less hassle. Also, it might be valuable to encourage drinking near home so people could walk back.

The fear of getting caught and reasonable public transport (1) means that drink-driving in urban areas is largely a thing of the past in the UK. However, in rural areas the problem is more complex… public transport is limited, the distances can be greater and pubs are often a focal point for communities.

Scott A

(1) Edinburgh operates a flat rate “night bus” to get revellers home.