 Off-Topic / Debate / 26121
Re: A question for my Canadian pals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 22:01:47 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:
But underlying technology is only one aspect.  If any of the
designers (at MS, Intel, or wherever) went to a public school or
received a government grant for college or for subsequent research,
then you are benefitting from public money.

Have you thought through to the logical conclusion of the path you're
following? The logical conclusion is that there should be no private money
at all. But then that raises an interesting question: Who decides what is
reasonable to spend money on? Here's another question: What makes that
entity any better at making decisions than the people who make up that
entity? I think you also have to demonstrate that private entities are
entirely incapable of making decisions. How many people here trust the UL
label as an indication of electrical product safety? How many people trust
Consumer's Union's (Consumer Report's) ratings of products? Which entities
have been quicker to provide benefits to committed same sex partners,
government or private?

Frank