 Off-Topic / Debate / 26108
Re: A question for my Canadian pals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 18:24:33 GMT

That's kind of how the knucklehead had characterized it.  In my view, it's a
question of most-widespread benefit.  If 90% of the population has access to
good health care, then that's great, even if access to certain procedures is
limited.

It would depend on which procedures, right?

Sure, but today my access to certain procedures is limited by my income and my
insurance, so I don't know that it's any better in practice.

On the other hand, I've never needed an MRI, so that service is, to
date and in practical terms, irrelevant to me.

When you need it, you (often but not always) really need it though, don't you?

Well, then we're back to the brain surgeon vs. hole-digger, aren't we?

I'd rather have my routine medical costs covered, even if it means that
an uncommon procedure is made less accessible to me.

That seems counterintuitive to me.

Yeah, I'm not sure that I can support my view.  I'm looking for a good analogy
to articulate it, but I haven't found it yet.

Aren't routine costs just that, routine? As in, expected? Wouldn't it make more
sense for an insurance scheme to cover unexpected or catastrophic costs, rather
than routine ones, and for people to pay routine costs directly (and thus have
some direct market influence over the cost and quality of things like flu shots,
wart removals, earwax cleaning and so forth)?

Hmm...  If routine costs are (relatively) small but unavoidable, but a
catastrophic cost is huge but only (insert percentage here) likely to occur,
then circumstances might incline a person of limited resources to wager that
he'd be better off in getting help with his small but unavoidable costs than in
waiting for help with a cost that might never come.  I expect that this kind of
gamble goes on all the time, in healthcare as well as in other arenas.

Dave!