 Off-Topic / Debate / 25880
  Driver humiliated by Texas judge

I don't normally start topics in o-t.d, but seeing that this article caught my interest I thought I would. Plus, it may divert attention away from other discussions. Driver humiliated by Texas judge: (URL) thoughts? If this becomes common practice (...) (20 years ago, 19-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) "The parents of Rachel Blasingame, the victim, praised the unusual sentence." Unusual. I think they summed up why I doubt this will not be carried out. Let's mock people in stocks! How about a scarlet letter? Maybe a tattoo on the forehead so (...) (20 years ago, 19-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) I don't think a permanent punishment is in order at all. I'd say 6 months or so would be more than adequate to 1) make sure the offender never, ever drives recklessly again, and 2) all he comes into contact with on the road think very (...) (20 years ago, 19-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) You could always behead them, then if they haven't re-offended in 6 months, re-attach their head. Or maybe the offenders could be strapped to the fronts of modified dune-buggies like in the movie 'Mad Max 2'. pete.w (who drives in the slow (...) (20 years ago, 19-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

Neat, welcome ot .o-t.d, Tim :-) (...) That's a pretty big "if." There are three parts of this issues that seem noteworthy to me. First, modern disciplinary thought (well, not all of it, but the good stuff) suggests that punishment supplants the (...) (20 years ago, 20-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) What restitution would you suggest for causing an accident that killed someone? Maybe I'm not being creative enough, but the person's already dead. Wouldn't the goal be making sure this person _never_ does the same thing again, and that as (...) (20 years ago, 24-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) Sure. Because society somehow forgot to teach them compassion, respect, self-worth, etc. Should we wash our hands of them, dooming us to repeat offense, even if we keep them in prison? Or do we decide to look for ways to help them break the (...) (20 years ago, 24-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) As you note, the death can't be taken back. But that person could, and this is merely an example, tour highschools giving talks to classes about what happened and why. He could fundraise for traffic safety organizations. (...) That's a (...) (20 years ago, 24-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) That's because the person who received this odd punishment didn't kill anyone. Speeding and reckless driving, yes, but it was somebody else in another car that was guilty of manslaughter. -->Bruce<-- (20 years ago, 24-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) Yeah, but seems like an accessory or something. I guess ultimately, the worst you can say about this guy is that he egged someone on and that person bahaved very irresponsibly. Chris (20 years ago, 24-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

If this guy was genuinely remorseful, I expect this would work. However, if he were a recidivist, it would just embitter him further. “Cruel and unusual” punishment is normally a bad idea. I expect habitual drink drivers will not let this story (...) (20 years ago, 27-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) Perhaps he was a white guy who killed a black kid? Scott A (20 years ago, 27-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) it sounds like an awful hassle to me. A breath-tester in every car -- while the idea burns my ass, would be less hassle. Also, it might be valuable to encourage drinking near home so people could walk back. Chris (20 years ago, 27-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) The fear of getting caught and reasonable public transport (1) means that drink-driving in urban areas is largely a thing of the past in the UK. However, in rural areas the problem is more complex… public transport is limited, the distances (...) (20 years ago, 27-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) Are you sure it would embitter him further? I would think initially he'd almost absolutely be more bitter, but the shame of the punishment may eventually break him (were it for a period of time like 6mos). Again, I could be wrong, just (...) (20 years ago, 27-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

The problem with drunk driving is the drinking (not trying to be obvious). Punishments and programs that do not address drinking will not work because if a person shows poor or no judgement when drunk, then they will continue to do this after any (...) (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) For me, what random testing means is that the fuzz can stop drivers without reason. This is important, as drunk-drivers often drive quite well in normal traffic if they are aware of their situation and are on familiar roads… they never pass (...) (20 years ago, 28-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) At least in the US, there's plenty of reasons officers already have to stop drivers. Years ago, my family was stopped once for having a misaligned headlight that just so happened to be pointing in the officer's eye as he was sitting opposite (...) (20 years ago, 30-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) Was this in New Rome, OH? (2 URLs) (former) very existence of New Rome is, in my view, a very telling argument against allowing police to stop people without probable cause. (20 years ago, 30-Sep-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) Australia has had random breath testing for many years now. The officers set up beside the road and randomly stop drivers going past. They don't generally inspect the car, so unless they see something obviously illegal, you'll probably be ok, (...) (20 years ago, 1-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) Huh! That's Australian beer for you! Scott A (20 years ago, 4-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) 'Em's fightin words! -Tim (who needs to make a point to try some Australian beer) (20 years ago, 4-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) You're from the UK right? Point conceded. A (20 years ago, 4-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) Everyone knows that Canadian beer puts all others to shame... ;) Dave K -who just wanted to pad his post count... (20 years ago, 4-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) Psh. Guiness Extra Stout is the only beer really worth drinking. -- Tom Stangl *(URL) Visual FAQ home *(URL) Visual FAQ Home (20 years ago, 5-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) Well (URL) these guys> ship great Aussie beer to your door almost anywhere in the world. ROSCO (20 years ago, 5-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Driver humiliated by Texas judge

(...) OK. You can believe that if you wish. Let me just say this one thing - Moosehead. (...) Depends how far you have to drive. A (20 years ago, 5-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  More fodder, similar topic(was: Re: Driver humiliated)

(...) I ran into this BBC article this evening: (URL) it right to hold people responsible for not stopping someone drunk from getting behind the wheel? Five years prison each for this? I really could go either way. Again, I'm not very up on modern (...) (20 years ago, 7-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: More fodder, similar topic(was: Re: Driver humiliated)

(...) Hmm, it sounds like the tried to prevent the person from doing harm. How much should they try? Do they have to risk death themselves? Criminalizing failure to prevent another from committing a crime is a pretty dangerous slope to perch on. (...) (20 years ago, 12-Oct-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)