 Off-Topic / Debate / 2407
Re: Best selection of parts to mess around with
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 17:04:12 GMT

Matt Marshall wrote:
[1] Although I just heard that on Chicago Hope last night somebody • actually
said sh*t.  Can the F bomb be far away?  Not that I really care because I
don't watch TV nor do I let my kids (as if they had time to)
Just what is wrong with those words? They are only "bad" because we think
they are. It's just a self fufilling phrophecy I mean they are very
general purpose words, and unless used to intentionally insult someone they
don't.

I agree, to a point.  I think these words tend to insult people even when
they're not intended to.

[WARNING BAD WORDS COMING UP] [WARNING BAD WORDS COMING UP] [WARNING BAD WORDS
COMING UP] [WARNING BAD WORDS COMING UP] [WARNING BAD WORDS COMING UP]
[WARNING BAD WORDS COMING UP] [WARNING BAD WORDS COMING UP] [WARNING BAD WORDS
COMING UP] [WARNING BAD WORDS COMING UP] [WARNING BAD WORDS COMING UP]

(I hope that's enough to hide the rest of this message from the Web interface
message preview...)

I'm equally insulted when someone says "shoot" instead of "shit".  It's not
the word itself, but the feeling with which it's delivered.  In some cases, it
can be a casual swaggering of macho and is not insulting, and other times it's
the tantrum thrown by the inner child and is to be scorned.  In either case,
it's just a verbal placeholder for when someone's too lazy to come up with a
better word.

Similarly, I'm equally insulted when someone says "sh*t" instead of "shit".  I
mean, wow, "sh*t" is okay?  Is there something magical about that asterisk?
I'm totally perplexed by the social mores which demand a letter be blanked
out, for all but the most scatalogically-ignorant to put back together.

I was surprised by a recent TRU commercial on TV, where a little girl keeps
saying the phrase "I used the potty".  I never thought the TV censors would
let such a casual toilet reference be passed around by such a young child.  It
probably wouldn't have surprised me any more if she had used other vocabulary.

Vaccum cleaners in the shop, the timmy was useful....might build a
memorial....nah

LOL

Cheers,
- jsproat

Jeremy: "Hi, my name is Jeremy Sproat, and I'm a...Slashdot Lemming."
All:    "Hi, Jeremy."