 Off-Topic / Debate / 2408
2407  |  2409
Subject:
Motive vs Action (was Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 17:21:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Simon Robinson writes:
This must be why I prefer the market to work things out.  I don't think
motives matter at all.  It is demonstrated to be 'good' because the
market rewards that behavior.

Ha ha - I thought I'd get challenged on that one. I think when assessing
the morality of an action, it's crucially important in principle to take
motives into account.

For example:
Fred is driving back from work. It's been a hard day, which is why he's
tired. He makes the mistake of driving a bit faster than he ought to, given
his weariness, which is why he runs over Sam (who was just crossing the
road) and kills her.

Dave is driving back from work. He spots Paul up ahead, crossing the road,
and thinks 'that's the git who used to pull faces at me in school'.
So instead of slowing down to let Paul cross, he deliberately accelerates,
and runs Paul over and kills him.

Both actions have exactly the same consequences. In both cases the driver
was in the wrong - but is anyone seriously going to argue that Fred's
'wrongness' is as bad as Dave's?

Yes.
Neither you nor I are capable of judging motive.  We don't know why Fred ran
over Sam, or why Dave ran over Paul.  The only people who know that are Fred
and Dave, respectively.  All that we can do is judge the action.  Actions are
observable, and judgable, intent is not.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/