 Off-Topic / Debate / 2413
Re: Motive vs Action (was Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 00:50:22 GMT

<FJv3A6.J77@lugnet.com> <380CC30F.6FA2@mindspring.com> <FJv84y.79J@lugnet.com>

James Brown wrote:

Cop shoots someone, cop goes to jail.

Cop shoots someone who is enacting a crime (observable), which is
predetermined by law as a circumstance where it is permisable, cop doesn't go
to jail.

Cop shoots someone because (whatever), cop goes to jail.

Do you see what I'm driving at?  The why is irrelevant.

It appears to me that if the why behind a cop shooting someone is that a
predetermined circumstance (crime in progress) has been met.  Thus, he
is not punished because of the why for which the killing took place.

No one external to
the individual can ever be 100% certain about "why" someone does something.
However, it is possible to be 100% certain (assuming a WYSIWYG universe) about
what is done and what the circumstances are.

I think the why has to be considered too.  If this hypothetical (white)
cop shoots a black man allegedly in self defense and there are
conflicting eye-witness accounts of what happened, but it's clear from
some investigation that the cop is an active KKK member, should that not
be taken into account as a potential why?

These decisions about whether a cop killed someone appropriately are not
usually cut and dry cases.  They require investigations and reading
between the lines.  Motive is critical to determining the nature of the occurance.

I don't see how it can work, but I'm open to counter examples (or
analysis of why my examples above are invalid).

I think that it's a fairly subtle but important difference between attempting
to determine the why, and attempting to determine the what.

I don't think it's particularly subtle, but I think both have to be done.

Or maybe I'm missing the issue that the two of you are discussing...

Chris