 Off-Topic / Debate / 2412
Re: Motive vs Action (was Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 19:43:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
James Brown wrote:
Unfortuanately it seems to me that to have a workable society, we have
to attempt to judge intent. Without judging intent, either murder is not
a crime, and we can't punish anyone for being responsible for someone
elses life ending, or there are a lot of police, military, doctors,
prison guards, and just plain old citizens who have to be put away for
life (no death penalty anymore, since that would be murder).

Also, there's no reason why there can't be 'state-mandated'(1) circumstances
under which murder is sanctioned/pardoned.  The most obvious example is the
death penalty.

Ah, but to do so, you're making a determination of intent, at least for
any case other than a death penalty (there you might be able to argue
that there is a real difference).

Hmm.  I don't see that as being intent-driven, but circumstance-driven.  It
(to me) is a difference between "thou shalt not kill, unless you didn't mean
to" and "thou shalt not kill, except under clearly defined circumstances"

I see no reason why judging intent is necessary to a workable society.

Please give some examples how we would deal with various "crimes"
without judging intent. Show how we can distinguish between the above
listed situations and a "criminal", or show how society doesn't need to
pardon all of the above people, or how we will prevent "crime" if the
punishments are not so extreme that we won't mind seeing all of the
above people punished also.

Ok, to stick with the murder example:

I shoot someone, I go to jail (or whatever).

Cop shoots someone, cop goes to jail.

Cop shoots someone who is enacting a crime (observable), which is
predetermined by law as a circumstance where it is permisable, cop doesn't go
to jail.

Cop shoots someone because (whatever), cop goes to jail.

I shoot my neighbor because he's black, and I'm a KKK member, I go to jail.

I shoot my neighbor who's abusing my kids, I go to jail.

Do you see what I'm driving at?  The why is irrelevant.  No one external to
the individual can ever be 100% certain about "why" someone does something.
However, it is possible to be 100% certain (assuming a WYSIWYG universe) about
what is done and what the circumstances are.

I don't see how it can work, but I'm open to counter examples (or
analysis of why my examples above are invalid).

I think that it's a fairly subtle but important difference between attempting
to determine the why, and attempting to determine the what.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/