 Off-Topic / Debate / 2410
Re: Motive vs Action (was Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 17:58:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
James Brown wrote:
Neither you nor I are capable of judging motive.  We don't know why Fred ran
over Sam, or why Dave ran over Paul.  The only people who know that are Fred
and Dave, respectively.  All that we can do is judge the action.  Actions • are
observable, and judgable, intent is not.

Unfortuanately it seems to me that to have a workable society, we have
to attempt to judge intent. Without judging intent, either murder is not
a crime, and we can't punish anyone for being responsible for someone
elses life ending, or there are a lot of police, military, doctors,
prison guards, and just plain old citizens who have to be put away for
life (no death penalty anymore, since that would be murder).

You're making assumptions.  What if the penalty for murder was deportation?
Or 5 years of community service?  No one says it has to be prison for life.

Also, there's no reason why there can't be 'state-mandated'(1) circumstances
under which murder is sanctioned/pardoned.  The most obvious example is the
death penalty.

I see no reason why judging intent is necessary to a workable society.

1: for lack of a better term)

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/